Sunday, December 27, 2009

Happy Birthday to my Panda

Tomorrow is my baby girl's birthday.  She isn't a baby anymore, she will be 5.  Yes, five.  My heart sighs as I say that.  I cannot believe my sweet, funny little Vanny Voo will be old enough for kindergarten, old enough to count her age with her whole hand, five digits = five years.  Sigh. 

She was teeny-tiny at birth with a head of dark hair.  Well, what I thought was teeny-tiny until her brother redefined that for us.  I struggled with her pregnancy as well, knowing something was wrong but not able to define or diagnose it.   My womb stopped growing at 30 weeks, I had IUGR (inter-uterine growth restriction)  A fancy name for a scary time in my life.  Each week my ob would measure my belly and look at me with concern and say," I just don't know how much longer you will be able to hold on."  I came in weekly for appointments and testing but we just could not figure out what was wrong.  My sweet little baby came at 34 weeks, she was tiny to me at 4lbs and 13 oz.  But she was beautiful with so much dark hair and the most delicate features.  She came shooting into the room after a difficult and painful natural labor.   The doctor barely caught her.  Seriously!
 I started laboring on Dec. 26, the day of the major tsunami.  I remember watching horrified and saddened and wondering at the state of the world my baby girl would be entering.  My labor grew more and more difficult, which is often the case with an induction.  It seemed everyone in my life who could be of support was sick with the flu, including my husband.  At one point, I remember calling and putting my friend Amy on standby because I needed support and everyone else was sick, sick, sick.  I had the meanest labor nurse and so I returned the favor and became a mean patient to her as well.  Not one of my proudest moments but something worth mentioning.  Crave pulled it together and was able to witness the birth of our last little girl.  The ob showed me my placenta and we realized why she was so small.  It was a sight part of me wishes I never saw even though it provided answers.  My placenta was full of clots and not healthy at all, no wonder she was so small, she could barely get nutrients.

  My sweet baby girl, though tiny at the time, was made of sturdy stock and a strong will.  She may be the youngest of my three girls but she rules the roost most of the time.  She quickly stepped out of her small stature, she became a force to reckon with.  She is my child most like her daddy;  Ready to take on adventure, no fear, nothing to hold her down.   She was the first child that caused in me the need to babyproof.  She was a climber and an explorer.  Her sense of humor is much like her daddy's as well and I love this.  She keeps me entertained with her silly antics and her funny musings about life.  My constant desire to teach ladylike habits and manners to my girls is challenged by Savannah but I enjoy even this battle.  She shows me each and every day she is her own person. 
 She has a best friend, my sweet little neice Mya, my sister's little girl.  They are only six weeks apart.  Mar and I were pregnant together and it was a very sweet time in my life.  We shared our misery, our maternity clothes, and the joys of pregnancy, also the concerns of our stressful pregnancies.  Now we share this journey of mothering these two girls and it is so nice to have someone so close experiencing the same milestones and challenges.  My best friend gave birth to my daughter's best friend. 

I can hardly believe my Panda will be five tomorrow.  She is still in to princessess and dress up and make believe.  I know, having raised her sisters for a few more years, that these early years pass so quickly.  I will it to last a little longer with my youngest daughter.  I am not ready for her to enter the real world of homework, and mean girls and admonishments to act your age, or the introduciton of societal things that are above her age.  The world comes so fast and I am eager to hold onto the beautiful innoncence of the first years for just a little longer. 
My Vanny Voo, My Panda, is the neatest kid.  She is very shy in public.  In fact, she didnt speak a word to her preschool teacher until two weeks into the school year.  At home, she is boisterous and loud, and quirky and funny.  She has obsessions, unusual but adorable obsessions.  She loves Mario and Nintendo.  She loves Wonder Woman.  She loves Panda bears.  We watched a documentary on an earthquake that had destroyed pandas' habitat and from that day, six months ago, she has been raising money to save the Pandas.  Her favorite foods are cooked carrots and broccoli.  She will choose broccoli over cookies any day.  She idolizes my little brother, her Nintendo friend, who played hours upon hours of Wii with her, including Disney Princess.  She calls him her favorite boy buddy.  He is flying in to see her, (and the rest of the family) on Tuesday.  We will celebrate her birthday with him.  She adores my dad, always wanting to call him and inform him of our dinner menu.  And if we have green beans she insists we save some for Pap. 

She came into the world so tiny but she has made such a huge impact on me and on all of our family.  I wait for the day when she warms up to the world, when she steps out of her shyness.  World, then you will be truly blessed and amazed by this sweet, funny, full of life little girl. 

BFF
Uncle Jason

1 comment:

Julie said...

Your Panda sounds so much like my Monkey : )

I hope she had a great birthday yesterday!