Monday, September 28, 2009

Mother-daughter book club

Last night CC and I went to our first mother-daughter book club discussion.  We met with four other mom-daughter combos, all girls around ten or eleven, fifth graders.  The moms, well once again, I was the youngest but that tends to be the case when you have a baby at 21!  We read Ella Enchanted and discussed it.  I can't tell you how much fun I had because I have no way to measure it but it was the best!  I loved hearing what my daughter thought, I loved the other girl's takes on this character of Ella and all the other players in the novel.  I read the book quickly, because CC took so long getting it to me. She tends to read several books at once, I am not sure how she manages to keep them all straight. I enjoyed reading this lighthearted fairytale adolescent book. Then our facilitator sent us discussion questions to mill over before the meeting and I wondered how I missed some of the major themes of the novel like feminism and forgiveness. Nonetheless, I enjoyed our book discussion, especially the speaking points of all the daughters. I am thankful that none of them know of broken hearts and revenge yet. I am thankful that all admired Ella's individuality and trueness to herself.
We are approaching middle school next year and I fret and worry about it. I have the most amazing daughter who strives to be good, is respectful and sorrowful when disobedient, is kind and moral. As she gets older I know she will face pressures and choices, some even more drastic and earlier than I did. I believe she has a good head and a caring heart and a strong moral backbone. I wonder how our relationship will change and when. But I loved last night, the first glimpses of her as CC the preteen in a social setting of girls. She held her own and she also reached out to new friends.
I know that CC looks like me but I have never felt that she was like me. She has always seemed so much better, more generous, more beautiful, more modest, more humble, more outgoing. Last night I saw firsthand someways she takes after me. Her love of reading, her ability to be kind to others, and the way she likes to keep people on track in discussion. It was textbook Christina. Anyone who has ever been in a discussion group with me knows what I am talking about. It was the cutest thing and yeah my sweet, beautiful redhead is a little like me. She inherited something besides my ability to slam a door when mad. Unlike me, she is always quick to admit her wrongdoing and apologize. So she will not be likely to spend most of her preteen years grounded for her attitude. Yeah!
I have many friends out there with daughters and I so recommend a mother-daughter book club. Start one, join one, or just start reading and discussing a book with your daughter.
Our next two books are Utterly Me, Clarice and Rules, if you have a preteen, read along with us! I am also reading with my 8 year old, Nancy Drew books are her favorite right now. She appreciates the one on one time and I love the moments I get to just sit with her curled up next to me.

Happy Reading and Happy Parenting~

No comments: