Monday, November 1, 2010

1 in 8

It's Prematurity Awareness month and I hope to be blogging more this month to do just that: raise awareness for prematurity. It's a cause that has forever impacted my heart, my family, my life. I sometimes feel like I have written the last two years to death, whined my way through them if you will. I write to share updates, to process, to vent, and to celebrate. Even though I dont write anonymously, and sometimes wish I did, I often feel as I write that I'm more open than I would be in an actual "how are you doing" conversation.
As I write this I can barely think. Caleb is pushing every loud button on his toy firetruck, the girls are vocal about the delay of dinner, and I am just anxious to make a difference, to make a statement, to grow and to share. Two years seems like such a long time in some ways but in other ways I still feel in the thick of things. I've become busy in the day to day of life and I have craftily avoided major issues that linger and/or have developed. I've decided to quit being so crafty. and so my heart will be more open and vulnerable this month.
Most of you reading this were personally impacted by the premature birth of my son. You prayed for him, you cheered for him, you watched our girls, you provided financially for us, you eagerly looked for updates and celebrated every milestone along the way with us. Others of you have had your own stories of prematurity. I encourage you to take time this month, share your stories. Become educated about prematurity, educate others. Give to the March of Dimes, pray for a preemie family, donate your energy and money to The Ronald Mcdonald House. Read other blogs on the March of Dime website from other preemie parents.
1 in 8 babies will be born premature. This shocks and saddens me. Sit with it and see if it shocks you as well. In America. 1 in 8.

No comments: