Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Summer of Fun Tour

I am so excited. Cowboy Jason (aka my little brother) is flying in from Kansas tomorrow. I am spending the weekend with 3 of my best friends, my siblings. The chatter this morning at the Craven house was so fun, full of excitement for tomorrow. The girls have not seen their uncle since January and tomorrow starts the kickoff of a weekend with cousins as well. Savannah calls Jason her favorite buddy, it's the cutest thing. I love the bond they have formed and we miss having him close by although we fully support his eventual move to Florida. If not close to home, why not somewhere warm and beautiful, and not flat, cold, far away Kansas.

We are having a big family party tomorrow. My mom, filled with- my baby boy is coming home excitement, has cooked all of his favorites, probably in overabundance. My father is already planning the drive to Columbus in his own way, which back road are we taking this time Dad? My dad loves his scenic routes. After a big family party tomorrow, my two brothers, my sister and I will be heading to Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. I feel like I should be playing Country Roads already. We have tickets to the Wvu-Syracuse game Saturday and plans to just enjoy the weekend. Mountains, fall trees in all of their beauty, crisp air and sunshine, blue and gold Mountaineers everywhere, I can hardly wait.
I'm so charged to go I think because I have needed this. I've been fortunate to have traveled much this past year. I have labeled it "Christina's Summer of Fun Tour" and extended it into fall. It all started a month or two after my surgery with a promise or a pact with one of my closest friends. Both of us realizing we needed change in our lives, she needing more of a work/family balance and me needing more time investing in myself again. And so a pact was formed to check in, to hold each other accountable and to encourage one another to be the change we need in our own life. I think I stole that quote from somebody but it sounds good. And so in small and large ways I have set out to nurture Christina again. I've been running, writing, traveling, making more time for friends,incorporating my kids in my passions and activities,saying yes to things that excite me and no to things that bog me down. And this weekend will probably be one of the highlights of my year, a year of struggle and loss but punctuated with happy exclamation point moments. And so the Summer of Fun tour continues with much giggling and shenanigans anticipated for this weekend.

1 comment:

Marlena said...

Summer of Fun is now renamed THE YEAR OF CHRISTINA. Claim your destiny my dear friend and let it unfold in front of you as well. I can't wait to see you!